Are you diving into the exhilarating world of pickleball? Firstly, a big warm welcome to you! As you embark on this adventure, the most vital gear awaiting your selection is undoubtedly the beginner pickleball paddle.
Pickleball has been witnessing a staggering rise in popularity. And with this boom, every month introduces a plethora of new pickleball paddles tailored for all skill levels. But if you're a novice, finding the best pickleball paddle for beginners amidst this vast sea can be daunting.
We understand, and that's precisely why we've crafted this article. We aim to streamline your choices, answer your questions about beginner paddles, and guide you to the best beginner pickleball paddles for 2023.
You might be eyeing the trendiest pickleball gear, considering upgrading your pickleball balls, or even scouting for those perfect pickleball shoes. However, before you get carried away, remember this golden rule: Your pickleball paddle is paramount. Everything else?
Here's a sneak peek into what to consider:
- Weight Matters: From lightweight paddles to heavier paddles, the paddle's weight plays a crucial role in your game. Beginners often lean towards medium-weight paddles or midweight paddles. They strike a perfect balance between power and ball control.
- Surface and Core: With options like fiberglass surface, graphite paddles, or even textured surface paddles, knowing what suits you is vital. Equally crucial is the core. Whether it's the honeycomb core, polymer core, or other core materials, this greatly affects your play.
- Grip and Size: From understanding the right grip size to determining the pickleball paddle size that's perfect for you, these nuances can significantly influence your play.
- Budget: Whether you're on the lookout for a budget paddle, an affordable pickleball paddle, or even the most expensive pickleball paddle, know that there's something for everyone.
So, are you ready to discover the best paddle, making your initiation into pickleball smooth and memorable? Let's dive right in and uncover the gems in beginner pickleball paddles for 2023.
1. PCKL Launch Series Premium Pickleball Paddle Racket
Brand Name: PCKL
Model: Launch Series
Skill Level: All
Reviews Rating: 4.7/5
PCKL Launch Series Premium Pickleball Paddle Racket features:
The PCKL Launch Series is more than just a paddle; it's an all-around consistency maestro, meticulously crafted for those who crave both power and precision. Designed for every player's needs, it showcases a widebody construction that perfectly marries power, control, and feel.
- Fiberglass Face: Ensures consistent hits and boosts overall shot quality.
- Polypropylene Honeycomb Core: Delivers power, consistency, and a broad sweet spot.
- Comfort Grip: Provides the ultimate cushioning and shock absorption, making each game more comfortable.
- USA Pickleball Approved: Meets all standard requirements and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor games.
- Eye-catching Design: Flaunt it with pride at any pickleball event.
- Fiberglass Durability: While the fiberglass face provides a fantastic sweet spot, it may not be as durable as graphite alternatives over prolonged use.
- Weight Variability: At 0.47 pounds (or roughly 7.5oz), some players might find it a tad light or heavy, depending on personal preferences.
- Grip Size Limitation: The fixed grip size of 4 1/4 inches might not cater to everyone's hand size, possibly causing discomfort for players who prefer a different grip circumference.
- Generalist Approach: Designed for players of all skill levels, advanced players might seek more specialized features tailored to high-intensity gameplay.
Why would you like it?
The magic of the PCKL Launch Series lies in its fiberglass face, housing a massive sweet spot that promises added forgiveness and notably reduces mishits. It's not just about hitting; it's about hitting with confidence.
An excellent practice partner for any beginner, the PCKL Launch Series shines through with its immense sweet spot and unparalleled all-round performance. And the best part? It's incredibly budget-friendly, making it a steal for the quality and features it offers.
2. HEAD Radical Elite Pickleball Paddle
Brand Name: HEAD
Model: Radical Elite
Skill Level: Beginning/Intermediate
Reviews Rating: 4.7/5
HEAD Radical Elite Pickleball Paddle Features:
The HEAD Radical Elite Pickleball Paddle stands out in the world of pickleball gear, bringing together advanced technology and a user-friendly design. Specifically tailored for beginning to intermediate players, this paddle offers a remarkable blend of power, control, and affordability.
- Optimized Tubular Core: Ensures perfect playability, sound, and feel tailored for every level of play.
- Composite Hitting Surface: Designed to provide maximized power, a softer feel, and an increase in comfort upon ball impact.
- Ergo Grip: The unique ergonomic foam handle ensures a comfortable grip, reducing hand fatigue during long matches.
- Value for Money: Offers intermediate performance features at a beginner-friendly price tag.
- Lightweight: Weighing in at 8.1 ounces, it provides a good balance between power and control.
- Fixed Grip Size: The grip size of 4 1/8 inches might not cater to everyone, potentially causing discomfort for those with larger or smaller hands.
- Target Audience: Designed specifically for beginning to intermediate players, advanced players might seek more specialized features.
Why would you like it?
The heart of the Radical Elite lies in its Optimized Tubular Core. HEAD's innovative engineering ensures that the polypropylene honeycomb core offers unique playability, a sound that resonates with every hit, and a feel that's second to none.
Beyond its playing capabilities, the paddle boasts an ergonomic design, with HEAD's exclusive Ergo Grip – a unique ergonomic foam handle that promises added comfort and an enhanced feel during extended play.
"I've recently ventured into the world of pickleball, and the HEAD Radical Elite has been a game-changer for me. The grip is just perfect, and I love the soft feel it offers. Definitely worth every penny!"-Samantha R.
"As an intermediate player, I've tried a few paddles before settling on this one. The power and control balance is fantastic. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is that I wish it came in more color options."-Liam K.
3. niupipo Pickleball Paddle
Brand Name: niupipo
Model: USAPA Pro
Skill Level: All
Reviews Rating: 4.6/5
niupipo Pickleball Paddle Features:
In the ever-growing world of pickleball, the niupipo Pickleball Paddle shines with its unique blend of technology, comfort, and design. Tailored to cater to players of all skill levels, from beginners to professionals, this paddle promises to elevate every game to championship status.
- USAPA Approved: Sanctioned for tournament play, it's a champion's choice.
- Graphite Construction: Provides an ideal balance of power and control with its graphite carbon fiber face and graphite-honeycomb composition.
- Improved Strength: The honeycomb core offers enhanced strength, giving players an edge with every shot.
- Premium Grip: Ensures comfortable handling with its perforated, sweat-absorbent, and cushioned design.
- Comprehensive Set: Not just a paddle, but a complete set that includes 1 bag and 4 pickleball balls, providing added value.
- Grip Length: A slightly extended grip length of 4.8 inches might not be ideal for all players, especially those with smaller hands.
- Design Variability: Some players might seek more design options or color variants.
Why would you like it?
The niupipo Pickleball Paddle isn't just another paddle in the market; it's a USAPA-approved weapon of choice for those striving for victory on the court.
Its graphite carbon fiber face is complemented by a robust honeycomb core, creating the ideal blend of strength and stiffness. The paddle offers remarkable ball control, enabling players to put just the right amount of force into every shot.
4. Bison Paddles: Graphite Pickleball Paddles
Brand Name: Bison Paddles
Model: Graphite Pickleball Paddles
Skill Level: Intermediate
Reviews Rating: 4.5/5
- Durable construction.
- Advanced pickleball technology for versatile play.
- Eye-catching, unique design.
- USAPA approved for tournament play.
- Comfortable grip for extended gameplay.
- Might be a tad heavy for players used to lighter paddles.
- The design might not be to everyone's taste.
Bison Paddles: Graphite Pickleball Paddles Features:
- Paddles Built Like Bison: These paddles are designed tough, just like the mighty Bison. The carbon graphite face paired with a shock-proof edge guard ensures durability for countless matches.
- Superior Pickleball Tech: The marriage of a polymer honeycomb core with a graphite face offers a dynamic play experience. Expect powerful drives and slams, yet a soft, controlled touch around the net.
- Unique Design: Bid farewell to ordinary pickleball equipment. The distinct design of the Bison paddle promises to make heads turn on the court.
- USA Pickleball Approved: Rest easy knowing all Bison Paddles have undergone rigorous testing and have the USAPA stamp of approval.
- Superior Comfort: Enjoy longer playtimes without discomfort. The lightweight design, cushioned handle, and perforated wrap ensure maximum comfort and grip, even on the warmest of days.
Why will you like it?
The Bison Paddle is more than just a paddle; it's an experience. The unique design ensures you stand out, while the advanced paddle technology promises enhanced gameplay. Whether you're into powerful serves or precise net play, Bison caters to every play style.
"I've tried many paddles over the years, but the Bison stands out in terms of design and performance. Not only does it look great, but the balance of power and control is also impeccable. Plus, it's incredibly comfortable to use!" - Alex T.
5. Paddletek Phoenix G6 Pickleball Paddle
Skill Level: All
Frame Material: Polycarbonate
Shaft Material: Graphite
Reviews Rating: 4.6/5
Paddletek Phoenix G6 Pickleball Paddle Features:
The Phoenix G6 is more than just a pickleball paddle - it's a testament to Paddletek's commitment to marrying cutting-edge paddle technology with precision engineering.
The durable honeycomb core is constructed with a PolyCore interior and an embedded graphite polymer composite, reducing both vibration and noise for more comfortable play.
With the added protection of a 1/8" edged shock guard, this paddle stands resilient against the repetitive impacts of intense games.
- Ultra-cushion high-tack performance grip offers superior control and comfort.
- Lightweight design ensures agility during quick exchanges.
- Velvet-textured polycarbonate surface delivers excellent spin control.
- USAPA approved, ensuring competitive readiness.
- Might be too lightweight for players seeking heavier paddles for powerful shots.
- Polycarbonate surface, while offering spin, might wear out with very aggressive play.
- Universal skill level recommendations may not cater to advanced players seeking specialized features.
Why would you like it?
For one, the Phoenix G6 boasts a large sweet spot that guarantees better accuracy, forgiveness, and unparalleled ball control. It offers players the best of both worlds: a delicate touch for those soft drinks and a powerful force for driving shots.
"I've tried quite a few paddles in my time, but the Phoenix G6 stands out. The sweet spot is just fantastic, and the grip feels tailored to my hand. It's become my go-to for both casual games and tournaments." - Jake T.
Choosing the Best Pickleball Paddle for Beginners
With the myriad options available in 2023, from wooden paddles to graphite pickleball paddles, making that decision might feel daunting. But fear not; we're here to guide you.
1. Paddle Weight
One of the first things you'll notice when shopping for pickleball paddles is their weight variation. A pickleball paddle's weight impacts ball control, power, and the general feel during play.
- Lightweight Paddles (7.6 oz and under): These lighter paddles are often touted as the best beginner pickleball paddles. They give players better control and are easier on the arms, especially for those wary of tennis elbow.
- Midweight Paddles (7.6 - 8.2 oz): Providing a balance of power and control, they are versatile, making them an excellent choice for most pickleball paddles for beginners.
- Heavyweight Paddles (8.2 oz and over): Power-packed and requiring more strength, advanced players typically favor these heavier paddles.
2. Grip Circumference
Finding the right grip size is paramount. A quick hack? Open your hand and measure from your ring finger's tip to the middle crease of your palm. This gives you a range, often between 4 to 5 inches. Try grips around this measurement to find your perfect fit. Remember, grip circumference can influence your play pickleball experience tremendously.
3. Handle Length
With handle lengths generally ranging from 4.5–5.5", the choice depends on your hand size and prior racquet sports experience. Tennis aficionados, for instance, might lean towards paddles with longer handles. But if you're a newbie, be mindful: while longer handles offer more power, they might be trickier to maneuver.
4. Paddle Construction Materials
The world of pickleball paddle technology has witnessed a revolution. Most modern paddles employ a honeycomb core design enveloped by a frame. Materials like fiberglass, graphite, and carbon fiber are common. These components are chosen for their lightweight nature and robustness, offering the best of both worlds. So, whether you're eyeing composite paddles or graphite pickleball paddles, rest assured, the paddle technology of 2023 has got you covered.
Your first pickleball paddle should not only be affordable but also a durable one. After all, as a beginner, you'll be practicing a lot. Avoid the heartbreaks of a broken paddle by investing in a quality paddle with good reviews about its longevity.
With this knowledge, you can find the perfect paddle for your needs. Remember, the best paddle for someone else might not be the best for you. Prioritize comfort, understand your play style, and choose wisely. Whether it's the paddle face, edge guard, or textured surface you're pondering on, remember, the sport is as much about enjoyment as it is about technique.
The world of pickleball has grown expansively, offering a range of the best pickleball paddles tailored for every player. For beginners in 2023, the choice might seem daunting. But remember, it's not always about ping-pong paddle speeds or the allure of the most expensive pickleball paddles.
The key is finding the right paddle for you. Whether you're seeking an affordable paddle, a durable paddle for long-term play, or a lighter paddle for swift moves, there's something out there for you. Consider the pickleball paddle weight, and decide between heavier paddle options or lightweight pickleball paddles.
As you embark on your journey, an intermediate or beginner paddle could be your perfect companion. Factor in the paddle surfaces, whether you prefer a thicker core for a soft game or elongated paddles for extended reach.
And if you're torn between a heavy paddle and a midweight paddle, remember the balance between power and control. Choose a great paddle with a Joola Essentials touch or a simple yet effective beginner paddle based on your unique playstyle and needs. Happy playing!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you pick a pickleball paddle for beginners?
For those new to the game, the best pickleball paddles for beginners in 2023 combine affordability and functionality. A lightweight paddle is often recommended as it offers better control and maneuverability. Look for a paddle that provides a decent balance between power and control. The power paddle might be enticing, but control is more crucial for a beginner. You can then transition to medium-weight or power paddles as you progress.
How do I know when I need a new pickleball paddle?
Over time, paddles might show signs of wear and tear. If the surface becomes uneven, cracks appear, or the edge guard starts to detach, it might be time for a new one. Additionally, suppose you feel that your current paddle isn't aiding your performance or you've outgrown its capabilities (like needing more power or control). In that case, it might be time to consider an upgrade.
How do I know what size pickleball paddle I need?
The size of the pickleball paddle you need often depends on your playing style and physical comfort. Most beginners opt for a lightweight to middleweight paddle. The grip circumference should match your hand size for optimum comfort and control. A medium-weight paddle is a popular choice, balancing power and control.
What paddle does Ben Johns use?
Ben Johns, one of the top pickleball players, is known for using high-quality paddles. Specific models can change based on sponsorships, updates in technology, or personal preference. It's best to check his latest matches or official social media profiles for the most updated choice.
What is a beginner pickleball player?
A beginner pickleball player is new to the sport, still learning the basic rules, techniques, and strategies. They might not yet have a consistent serve or return, and they're in the early stages of understanding court positioning and shot selection.
What is an advanced beginner in pickleball?
An advanced beginner has moved past the initial stages of understanding the game but has yet to be at an intermediate paddle level. They possess more consistent serves and returns, have begun to develop a strategic sense of the game, and can maintain short rallies. However, they're still working on refining their skills and strategies.